Albern Allen


Saturday, May 22, 1802
Litchfield, Connecticut


Tuesday, Mar 31, 1835
1 Jan 1835?
Cattaraugus, New York
Baptized by: John Murdock


Monday, Jun 3, 1867
Ogden, Utah
Burial: Ogden, Utah

FamilySearch Profile
Lived in Nauvoo

  Ordained Seventy Jul 1838 at Far West, Missouri. Residence in Nauvoo: Five miles east of the temple. Endowed: Nauvoo Temple 1 Jan 1846. Presidency of 33rd Quorum of Seventy. Ordained High Priest: 6 Oct 1855 by E. D. Wooley, J. C. Wright Enrolled in High Priest Quorum, SLC: 7 Oct 1855 Sources: Susan Black, Early LDS Members Rec 1:455, Nauvoo Land and Record Files 39; Index 70s Bk B Sel, pg 17, 101. High Priest Qrm Rec, organized 23 Apr 1848, SLC, Utah, LDS Arc. For ten years Albern and his first wife resided in New York. In Cattaraugus, Cattaraugus County, New York. Albern joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in 1835 (Jensen, LDS Bio, 3:581). Following his baptism, he and his family migrated from New York to Missouri to be with the Saints. They settled in Caldwell County, Missouri, in 1836. In July 1838 Albern was ordained a seventy by Joseph Young (Early Church File). In 1839 he and his family fled from religious persecution to Adams County, Illinois. There, on 7 January 1840, Albern wrote a petition before William Laughlin, justice of the peace, seeking $1320 in redress for his suffering in Missouri (Johnson, Missouri Petitions). He and his family resided in Nauvoo, Hancock, County, Illinois, from 1840 through 1846. There he paid taxes and bought property (Nauvoo City Tax Lists: Nauvoo Property Transactions). He was a member of the Nauvoo 3rd Ward and served as a lieutenant in the Nauvoo Legion (Platte, Nauvoo; Jensen, LDS Bio, 3:581). Albern left Nauvoo to serve a short mission to the southern states (Jensen, LDS Bio, 3:521; Jensen, Chronology, 28). Upon his return to Nauvoo, he participated in temple ordinance work, including baptismal ordinances for his father, Daniel Allen; his uncle, Orlo Allen; and his cousin, Sally Comstock (Nauvoo Baptismal Record). He was sealed to his wife Marcia Allen on 24 January 1846 in the Nauvoo Temple (Nauvoo Temple Register). Albern was called to be the senior president of the Thirty-third Quorum of the Seventy in 1846 (Jenson, Church Chronology). His joy, prosperity, growing civil and Church prominence, ended when religious persecution forced he and his family to flee from Nauvoo to Iowa Territory. In Council Bluffs Albern and his oldest son, Rufus Chester, enlisted in the Mormon Battalion. At the time of their enlistment, Marcia, with her aged parents, brothers and sisters, and the rest of the children, were ill in a wagon (Carter, Treasures, 2:428). As father and son marched with the Battalion they were often asked to serve picket guard duty. On 17 December 1846, near Tucson, they were instructed to fire an alarm and run into camp if more than a dozen Mexicans passed in or out of town. About midnight Albern and Rufus fired their signal guns (Tyler, Concise 228-29). Excitedly, Lieutenant George Oman shouted, “Beat the drum, beat that drum–if you can’t beat that drum, beat that fife!” Within ten minutes the men formed a battle line on either side of the road (Pace Diary, 17 Dec 1846; Dunn Journal 17 Dec 1846). Fortunately, the signal proved a false alarm, and no battle ensued. Albern marched with the Battalion from Tucson to Ciudad de los Angeles where he was discharged on 16 July 1847. After being discharged he and his son migrated to the Salt Lake Valley via Fort Hall in 1847. In 1848 they met their family about one hundred miles east of Fort Laramie, on the Platte River. There they learned that two of Albern’s younger children, (Rachel, age 10, and Sarah Ann, age 3) had died in Winter Quarters, Nebraska Territory (Carter, Treasures, 2:430). The family migrated from Wyoming to Utah. They located in Ogden, Weber County, in 1849. By 1850 Albern was considered Ogden’s most notable farmer, even though his real wealth was only $50 (Utah Federal Census, 1850). He produced 450 bushels of wheat, 40 bushels of Indian corn, 50 bushels of corn, 100 bushels of potatoes, 25 bushels of buckwheat, 100 pounds of butter, and 250 pounds of cheese on a twenty-acre farm valued at fifty dollars (Ogden Standard Examiner, 25 Aug 1974). Albern served as president of the Thirty-third Quorum of the Seventy. He represented Weber County in the Utah Legislature for two terms. He was also a member of the Weber Stake High Council (Esshom, Pioneers, 713). During these busy years, he participated in the law of plural marriage with Mary Ann Hoops Yearsley, Mary Jane Morris, and Jane Elizabeth Hill. On 19 April 1857 Albern was given his patriarchal blessing by James Lake (Patriarchal Blessing Index, 701:19). Later that spring he accepted a mission call to Canada. He crossed the plains pushing his possessions in a handcart. In Genoa, Nancy County, Nebraska, he was asked by Apostles John Taylor and Erastus Snow to remain in Genoa and preside over a small branch of the Church (Carter, Treasures, 2:430). He presided in Genoa until 1858 when he returned to Ogden having never served his mission in Canada. Albern was selected as a counselor to Bishop Edward Bunker of the Ogden Third Ward. He became known as a liberal, broad-minded man who was willing to render both financial and spiritual aid (Carter, Treasures, 2:430).       Name: Albern Allen Gender: Male Relationship to Primary Person: Self (Head) Father: Daniel Allen Mother: Clarissa Dewey Birth Date: 22 May 1802 Birth Place: Cornwall, Litchfield, Connecticut, USA Death Date: 2 Jun 1867 Alternate Death Dates: Jun 03, 1869 Death Place: Ogden, Weber, Utah, USA Residences: Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie, Iowa, USA 1827-1829; Delaware, New York, USA 1831-1836; Cattaraugus, Cattaraugus, New York, USA 1838; Caldwell, Missouri, USA 1840-1843; Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois, USA 1847; Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, USA LDS Church Ordinance Data: Baptism Date: 1835 Cattaraugus, Cattaraugus, NY, USA Ordained Elder Nauvoo, Hancock, IL, USA Ordained Seventy Date: July 1838 Kirtland, Geauga, OH, USA Officiator: Joseph Young LDS Temple Ordinance Data: Endowment Date: January 1, 1846 Temple: Nauvoo, Hancock County, Illinois Sealed to Spouse Date: January 24, 1846 Temple: Nauvoo, Hancock County, Illinois Vocations: Farmer Comments: Albern was a member of the Nauvoo 3rd Ward. In 1850, Albern had $50.00 in real wealth. Albern paid Nauvoo City taxes sometime between 1841-1844. Albern had Nauvoo property transactions sometime between 1843-1846. Albern was   From     Name: Albern Allen Sources: Page 107; Author: Burns, Annie Walker; Title: First Families of Utah as taken from the 1850 census of Utah, 105; Page 115; Author: Church of Jesus Christ; Title: Claims presented against the state of Missouri for losses of property, 1839; Page 166; Author: Platt, Lyman D. ; Title: Nauvoo, 1839-1846. 1:70; Page 104; Author: Andrus, Hyrum; Title: Mormon Manuscripts to 1846. A Guide to the Holdings of the Harold B. Lee Library, 4(12)   From   Allen, Albern, a member of the Mormon Battalion, was born May 22, 1802, in Cornwall, Litchfield county, Connecticut, the son of Daniel and Clarissa Allen. Becoming a convert to “Mormonism,” he was baptized in Cattaraugus county, New York, in 1835. The next year (1836) he moved to Missouri with his family and located in Caldwell county, where he passed through the persecutions and hardships which befell the Saints at that time. Thus he was with his brethren at Far West when they were betrayed into the hands of their enemies and laid down their arms. When the Saints were expelled from Missouri, in 1839, he located temporarily in Adams county, Illinois, and became a resident of Nauvoo, Hancock county, in 1840. In Nauvoo he was ordained an Elder and afterwards a Seventy and filled a short mission to the South. As a military man he served as a lieutenant in one of the companies of the Nauvoo Legion. In 1846 he became an exile, together with his co-religionists, after sharing in the sufferings of the Saints at Nauvoo. He went with the body of the Church to Council Bluffs, Iowa, where he enlisted in the Mormon Battalion, leaving his family sick in a wagon on the prairie. He marched with the Battalion to California, and, having been mustered out of service, he made his way to Great Salt Lake Valley in the fall of 1847, expecting to meet his family there. In this, however, he was disappointed, as his family did not arrive in the Valley until the fall of 1848. During his absence from his family, serving in the Battalion, he lost two of his younger children by death. Locating in Ogden, he was chosen as senior president of the 33rd quorum of Seventy, and later he served two terms in the Utah legislature as a member from Weber county. In the spring of 1857, being called on a mission to Canada, he crossed the plains, together with a company of other missionaries with hand-carts. On arriving on the Missouri, he was detained there to preside over a small branch of the Church. After his return to Ogden, in 1858, he acted as a counselor to Bishop Edward Bunker of the Ogden Third Ward. As a faithful and exemplary Latter-day Saint, he died at Ogden June 2, 1867, leaving quite a large family of children, he having married several wives. Brother Allen was known universally as a liberal and broad-minded man, always willing to render both financial and spiritual aid whenever it was needed.   From


Copyright © 2009-2020, Dave Lyon. All Rights Reserved